True North is an independent digital media startup in search of an Alberta-based reporter to cover current affairs in Alberta and produce written and video news products for True North’s digital channels.
The ideal candidate will have a background in either news and/or politics/government and is familiar with the current news/issue landscape in Alberta. They will have some experience drafting newscopy, interviewing newsmakers, and filming video content.
This is a full-time remote (work from home) position. Applicants must be a resident in Alberta or willing to immediately relocate there, and preferably be based out of either Edmonton or Calgary.
- Lead news operations in Alberta as part of the True North journalism team, including the regular production of news products (articles and videos) for distribution across True North’s digital platforms.
- Research issues important to Albertans, including filing ATIPs, reviewing government documents, and establishing a network of contacts, to break exclusive news stories.
- Conduct and record interviews with Alberta newsmakers including elected officials, government employees, academics, and other individuals.
- Practice journalism which is both independent and fact-based, in-line with True North’s overall editorial position.
- Travel as required to locations in Alberta to cover breaking news events.
- Participate in regular True North team meetings and assist with other projects as required to advance True North.
Experience and Competencies Required:
- Prior experience either in journalism and/or politics/government is ideal, particularly in Alberta.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Familiarity with the current affairs/issue landscape in Alberta.
- Prior experience conducting interviews with newsmakers is an asset.
- Experience and competency recording video footage/interviews and editing videos is an asset.
- Ability to work in a remote (work from home) setting with little supervision.
- Demonstrates initiative and is passionate about working with an independent news organization.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and work as part of a team.
Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience of the selected candidate. Employee benefits are offered after three-months of continuous employment.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter (along with work samples if applicable) to [email protected].