fbpx
stories

Alleged Kingston teen bomb plotter could face three years in prison for guilty plea

The youth, whose identity is being protected due to his age, is being charged with taking action to cause an explosion and possessing explosive materials.

The Kingston teenager arrested in relation to a bomb plot in January 2019 is expected to plead guilty to various terror charges. 

Crown lawyers are asking that the accused be tried as an adult which could land him in prison with a life sentence, however, as a youth he can expect to only serve a maximum of three years. 

The youth, whose identity is being protected due to his age, is being charged with taking action to cause an explosion and possessing explosive materials. 

Last year, the RCMP arrested two individuals believed to be involved in a terror plot after receiving a tip from the FBI. During a raid, police are said to have found materials meant to be used in creating a bomb.

“It suggests that somebody from Kingston had contacted somebody in the United States or potentially somebody in the United States had contacted somebody in Kingston,” said former CSIS director Ward Elcock about the arrest. 

Internal RCMP documents show that the federal police force was worried that the arrest would lead to anti-immigrant sentiments among Canadians.

The arrest of a Syrian refugee may cause some negative reaction on the Syrian population and immigrant population due to current anti-immigration sentiments,” wrote an RCMP strategy document.

Despite their concerns, no hate-related incidents were reported as a result of the arrest. 

20-year old Syrian refugee Hussam Eddin Alzahabi was later released without charges after further questioning. 

The suspect who was charged in the incident was later released on bail in April and ordered to surrender his passport and wear an ankle monitor, among other restrictions. 

Justice Stephen Hunter has stated that the case will be postponed to February 5, 2020. According to the lawyers of the accused, he will be pleading guilty to the charges against him. 

No preliminary hearing is scheduled as the two sides are negotiating a plea bargain.

We’re asking readers, like you, to make a contribution in support of True North’s fact-based, independent journalism.

Unlike the mainstream media, True North isn’t getting a government bailout. Instead, we depend on the generosity of Canadians like you.

How can a media outlet be trusted to remain neutral and fair if they’re beneficiaries of a government handout? We don’t think they can.

This is why independent media in Canada is more important than ever. If you’re able, please make a tax-deductible donation to True North today. Thank you so much.

Spread the word

Make sure everyone sees this!

Shares